Assistance for Your Most Common Requests

Helping Tennessee families reunite, seek asylum and adjust their status

We have found that some questions are asked more often than others, and that some petitions are filed more frequently. Whether you’re seeking to reunite your family, want to become a U.S. citizen or are fleeing a civil war in your home country, attorney Patrick Slaughter is there to help you. From our office in Knoxville, TN, our team has helped families just like your make their way in America. Patrick always returns your calls, day or night, and he personally travels to Memphis and Atlanta to represent his clients in court. When you want an immigration attorney who is genuinely interested in helping you find your way, you want Patrick Slaughter.

Common immigration forms

There are certain forms that almost every immigrant needs to complete before he or she can come to (and then stay in) America.

  • Form I-130: Petition for Alien Relative. If you are a S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident who wishes to reunite your family, you need to fill out this form. Once the form is filled out correctly and sent in to the USCIS (along with a check for $420), the agency will assign the applicant a visa number when one becomes available. You must fill out an I-130 for every member of your family, and you must write a separate check for each application.
  • Form I-864, Affidavit of Support. The I-864 is a form that proves you can financially support the family members who wish to come to the U.S. Make sure to bring your financial records to your appointment with Patrick so he can help you with this form.
  • Form I-485: Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. If you are here on a temporary work visa but want to become a permanent resident, you must fill out an I-485. The cost of filing is high, and is paid to the Department of Homeland Security. Patrick can help you initiate the process and collect the necessary documentation you need to file for permanent residency. He also offers payment plans to those seeking asylum; it can be a costly process, and we want to help you alleviate your stress.
  • Form N-400, Application for Naturalization: The N-400 is the form you use to apply for citizenship. Applications and a check for $680 must be sent to the DHS (just like the I-485). Your entire application can be rejected if there are errors in the application or in the check fee, so it’s best to seek the guidance of an attorney like Patrick to help you.
  • Form I-589: Application for Asylum and Withholding of Removal. If you are already in the U.S. and have not been granted permission to stay here, you could be deported back to your native country. If you wish to seek asylum, whether you are here illegally or here under a different kind of visa, Patrick can help you file an I-589, which will request that the government withhold your removal proceedings while your case for asylum is considered.
  • I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. This form is a work permit, called an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), for people who are in the U.S. temporarily. You must provide an EAD to any potential employer before you being work.

Attorney Patrick Slaughter can help you with any and all of the forms you must file, but these are the ones we see the most often in our office.

Your questions answered by a dedicated immigration attorney

Whether you’re planning a wedding or facing criminal charges – or anything in between – Patrick Slaughter can help you through the process. We explain the different forms and petitions you will need in order to come to and remain in the U.S. with your family. To schedule a consultation at our Knoxville, TN office, please call 865-637-6258 or fill out our contact form.