Immigration Forms

Knoxville Attorneys Assist With Immigration Forms and Documents

Helping Tennessee families reunite, seek asylum and adjust their status

As more and more people immigrate to the United States to reunite with their families, secure better job opportunities, or get married, they may find themselves facing a mountain of paperwork and documentation. Filing a petition for citizenship or residency can feel overwhelming. But we can help.

Whether you’re seeking to reunite your family, want to become a U.S. citizen or are fleeing a civil war in your home country, LaFevor & Slaughter is here for you. From our office in Knoxville, TN, our immigration attorney Patrick Slaughter has helped families just like yours make their way in America. Patrick always returns your calls, day or night, and he personally travels to Memphis and Atlanta to represent his clients in court. We’re dedicated to helping you find the best way to the United States.

There are certain forms that almost every immigrant needs to complete before he or she can come to (and then stay in) America. Let’s take a look at the most common.

IMPORTANT NOTE! A policy enacted in February 2020 allows the government to enforce new “wealth rules” that can make an immigrant ineligible for residency or admission to the United States if they rely on public assistance. Read more here.

Form I-130: Petition for Alien Relative

If you are a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident who wishes to reunite your family, you need to fill out the I-130 form. Once the form is filled out correctly and sent in to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), along with a fee, the agency assigns you a visa number when one becomes available. You must fill out an I-130 for every member of your family, and you must write a separate check for each application.

Form I-130 is the petition you’ll use if you want to sponsor an immediate relative – like a spouse, children, sibling, or parent – and secure them green cards. You can sponsor as many family members as you want, as long as they’re eligible and you meet the requirements for sponsorship.

What documentation do I need to provide with Form I-130?

Our Knoxville attorneys will let you know exactly what you need for a successful petition. Different situations and family members might require different types of worksheets, and we’ll explain that all so you don’t have to stress about it. But here’s a taste of what the government requires to bring over a family member, so you can start getting your stuff together now.

  • For a spouse, you’ll need a copy of your marriage certificate and proof that, if either of you were previously married, that the previous marriage was legally ended. You’ll also want the birth certificates of children you have together, as well as various financial affidavits.
  • For a child, if you’re the mother, you’ll need a copy of their birth certificate, showing your name and the name of your child. If you’re the father, you’ll also need the birth certificate, with your name, your wife’s, and your marriage certificate.
  • For a brother or sister, you’ll want to provide a copy of your own birth certificate and a copy of your sibling’s birth certificate showing you have at least one parent in common.
  • For a parent, you must provide a copy of your birth certificate showing either your and your mother’s name, or your, your mother’s and your father’s name. You also have to include your parent’s birth certificate to show they were married before you were born.
  • For stepparents and stepchildren, you’ll need a copy of the marriage certificate between the stepparent and the child’s natural parent, showing the marriage happened before the child turned 18.
  • For adopted children and adoptive parents, you have to show a copy of the adoption decree to prove that the adoption happened before the child turned 18.

Form I-864: Affidavit of Support

The I-864 form proves you can financially support the family members who wish to come to the United States. This form basically puts you on the hook financially for the family member you wish to sponsor. Make sure to bring your financial records to your appointment with LaFevor & Slaughter so we can help you accurately fill out this form. Documents required for Form I-864 include:

What documentation do I need to provide with Form I-864?

You’ll need to provide copies of your individual federal income tax return. This includes your W-2s for the most current tax year, or proof of why you weren’t required to file. You’ll also want copies of all your Form 1099s, Schedules, pay stubs, and all other evidence of income. We can help you collect this information to ensure everything’s done according to the letter.

Form I-485: Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status

If you’re here on a temporary visa but want to become a permanent resident, you must fill out an I-485 form. This form can be costly to file, but we offer payment plans to those seeking asylum and we want to help alleviate your stress.

What documentation do I need to provide with Form I-485?

Some of the documents you’ll need to show for a successful petition include:

  • Address history for the past five years
  • Alien registration number (if applicable)
  • Employment history for the past five years
  • I-94 Arrival/Departure Record
  • Marriage and divorce dates for any previous marriages
  • Passport
  • Receipt number (if you have a pending or approved I-130 petition)

Form N-400: Application for Naturalization

The N-400 form is the big one – the form you use to apply for citizenship. You’ll send your application to the Department of Homeland Security along with a $680 fee. Remember, your entire application can be rejected if there are any mistakes (even with your payment), so it’s best to seek the guidance of an experienced Knoxville attorney to help.

What documentation do I need to provide with Form N-400?

For Form N-400, you’ll need a copy of your green card and your fee. Depending your personal situation, you may also need some additional documents, including:

  • Proof of your current marital status if you are married, divorced, or widowed
  • Form N-426, Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service, if you’re applying for citizenship based on your military service
  • Form N-648, Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions, if you’re applying for an exemption to the citizenship testbased on a qualifying medical condition

Don’t worry – we know this is a pivotal point in your life and our job is to make sure it goes without a hitch.

I-765: Application for Employment Authorization

The I-765 form is a work permit, called an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), for people who are in the U.S. only temporarily. You must provide an EAD to any potential employer before you can start work.

What documentation do I need to provide with Form I-765?

There are a variety of documents necessary for this form, but the specific ones for your needs may depend on your personal circumstances. These documents can include a copy of your passport, all of your I-94 arrival and departure records used to enter the United States, and evidence showing you’ve maintained lawful immigrant status in the United States.

Attorney Patrick Slaughter and our talented legal team can help you with any and all of the forms necessary for you and your family to move to or stay in America. We’re here to help.

All your questions answered by a dedicated Knoxville immigration attorney

The process of immigration can be complex and confusing. This should be a happy time, and our immigration attorneys can help ease your stress and anxiety. At LaFevor & Slaughter, we stay current with frequently-changing regulations and legislation. We’re proud to help people from all around the world achieve their goals, even when their cases seem impossible. To schedule a consultation at our Knoxville, TN office, call us at (865) 637-6258 or fill out this contact form