Family Immigration

Knoxville Family Immigration Attorney

Helping families throughout East Tennessee start their new lives together

The two most common ways to immigrate into America involve work and family. Family and fiancé(e) immigration allow people from around the globe to obtain green cards through the sponsorship of a family member or loved one here in Tennessee. At our firm, we help families unite by working with immigrants who sponsor others and seek sponsorship themselves.

The Knoxville immigration attorneys at LaFevor & Slaughter guide you through the process, advise you regarding the forms, and thoroughly explain your options so you and your loved ones can move forward in your new life in America. We work with a variety of clients with a variety of immigration issues, and we’re proud to work with you, too. Let us ease your mind and worries and assist you with:

Family immigration

One of the most important things we do – and what we’re most proud of – is helping keep families together. We know how to put together a successful immigration petition, and Attorney Slaughter dedicates himself to reuniting you and your loved one.

I’m a U.S. citizen. Can I file for residency for a relative in another country?

If you already live in Tennessee (or any state in America) and you are a U.S. citizen, you may file a Petition for Alien Relative: I-130 on behalf of your:

  • Spouse
  • Siblings, as long as you are at least 21 years of age
  • Parents, as long as you are at least 21 years of age
  • Unmarried child under the age of 21
  • Unmarried child over the age of 21
  • Married child of any age

If you’re a permanent resident of the U.S., you may petition for your spouse or your children only.

There are different categories for family-based immigration visas, and your personal situation determines which category is best for you. Don’t worry – we’ll explain all your options and help you make that decision. We also help with the I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence, or Adjust Status.

Fiancé(e) and K-1 visas

The K-1 visa, or fiancé(e) visa, allows U.S. citizens engaged to foreign nationals an opportunity to bring their family together here in America. In other words, if you’re American but your fiancée isn’t, you can apply to bring them here. But K visas can be complicated, and it’s important you get the help and counsel of a skilled immigration attorney. Here in Knoxville, we give you sound and practical advice about your options. And, Attorney Patrick Slaughter always answers your questions clearly and honestly, and assists you with the complicated forms mandated by Immigration Services. Together, we can help you begin your new life with your partner here in Tennessee.

How does the K-1 visa petition work?

If your foreign national fiancé(e) already lives in the United States, you’re not gonna need a K-1 visa. But, if your partner lives in a different country, you have to file a Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e). If your partner has children, remember to list their names on the forms, too. You’re also required to:

  • Be a U.S. citizen
  • Be married within 90 days of when your fiancé(e) comes to the U.S.
  • Have met in person at least once in the last two years, unless:
    • It’s a violation of cultural customs
    • It would result in extreme hardship

Then, once you’re married, your new spouse can apply for permanent residence. We’ll be happy to walk you through the change of status application. We can also help your fiancé(e) with Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, if he or she wishes to get a job as soon as they get to the United States. Our Knoxville immigration lawyers can also file K-2 petitions on behalf of your spouse’s kids, if you need us to.

The attorneys at LaFevor & Slaughter also fervently – and we mean it – represent those whose petitions were denied. We’ll help you appeal if your petition is denied by the Department of State (DOS). In some cases, the DOS will not reopen a petition, and we’ll need to start over. So we will. We do everything we can to prevent a denial, but if it happens, we will protect your rights as if you’re a member of our own family.

Adjustment of status

Choosing to become a lawful permanent resident of the United States is exciting – but it can be a bit overwhelming, too. Whether this is your first step to citizenship, a chance for better life opportunities, or the realization of a lifelong dream, LaFevor & Slaughter is here to guide and support you. At our Knoxville office, we help immigrants in Tennessee and people from all around the world adjust their immigration status and obtain their green cards. We’re here to answer your questions, and you can be darn sure that Patrick will always return your calls, day or night.

What are the benefits of having a green card?

Getting your green card gives you lots more opportunities here in America. You can work anywhere you want, at almost any type of job you’re qualified to hold, and you and your kids will be entitled to government financial aid for college. You can also sponsor your spouse and your children (under the age of 21) who live abroad and want to come to America to be with you.

In order to apply for an adjustment of status to get a green card, you have to complete the I-485 form. We’re not gonna lie – we like this form. It’s one of the more common forms we help our clients with, and we’re just about always as excited as the people we help. We’ll explain just what you need to complete the form, and we’ll help you go through it and your documentation to make sure everything is in order.

Who can apply for an adjustment of status?

Immigrants who want to live here permanently, but also don’t want to give up their citizenships in their home country can apply to become permanent lawful residents. Other people fill out the I-485 because:

  • They want to reunite their families in America
  • They have children under the age of 21 who live abroad
  • They have a fiancé(e) who lives in another country
  • Their fiancé(e) lives in America and they want to marry and live in the States
  • They wish to pursue different job opportunities
  • They have won a visa through the Diversity Lottery
  • They are seeking asylum from their native country and government

The rules that govern who and who may not apply for permanent status can be complicated, and government forms are always a pain to navigate without help. Our job is not only to guide you through the process, but even more importantly, we work to ensure your application is error-free. One mistake can put your adjustment of status at risk – so we get it right the first time.

How can a Tennessee immigration attorney help my family?

When you send your application, petition or forms to the visa processing center, you’re placing your future in the hands of a person who handles literally hundreds of applications just like yours in a week. These men and women are trained to look for errors, omissions, or other problems that could result in a denial of your application. But you don’t need to do this on your own. A skilled immigration attorney knows what they’re looking for in your application, and can help you avoid making the type of mistake that can have your petition denied.

Listen, we understand that the immigration process can be overwhelming. Attorney Slaughter and our staff help you make sense of it all, so you can make informed decisions about your future. We offer you patient guidance through the process, and an easy-to-understand explanation of your role as a petitioner. And, if problems arise along the way, we advocate aggressively on behalf of you and your family to ensure that you can remain united and together. You never have to worry about not getting the answers you need – we’re always there for you.

Knoxville attorneys helping your family along the exciting path to a life in America

The lawyers at LaFevor & Slaughter are proud to serve the legal needs of the immigrant population of Tennessee. If you have any questions about the immigration process, we would be pleased to help you. Call us at (865) 637-6258 or fill out this contact form to see how we can help you achieve your dreams.

Learn more about family immigration in Tennessee: