The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted our way of life in its entirety. The way we grocery shop has changed. Restaurants are closed for in-person dining. Schools are closed for in-person instruction through the end of the year in Knox County, which is May 21.
This means that parents continue to serve as home instructors, teaching lessons, helping with projects, and managing video chats. If this is the first time you’ve ever had to homeschool your children, you are likely overwhelmed, especially if you are involved in a Knoxville child custody arrangement. Our attorneys and staff gathered some local resources and links to provide some assistance and help during this time.
Feel free to contact us if you have any other helpful sites to add to our list! We also recommend checking with every organization beforehand to ensure their operating and service hours.
Food distribution sites across Knox County
The Knox County School District, which includes Knoxville, has set up 25 food distribution sites across the county so students can still receive the meals they received during school. The distribution sites include the following:
- Austin-East High School: 2800 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave., Knoxville, TN 37914
- Bearden Middle School: 1000 Francis Road, Knoxville, TN 37909
- Bearden High School: 8352 Kingston Pike, Knoxville, TN 37919
- Beaumont Magnet Academy: 1211 Beaumont Ave., Knoxville, TN 37921
- Belle Morris Elementary School: 2308 Washington Pike, Knoxville, TN 37917
- Carter High School: 210 N. Carter School Road, Strawberry Plains, TN 37871
- Central High School: 5321 Jacksboro Pike, Knoxville, TN 37918
- Dogwood Elementary School: 705 Tipton Ave., Knoxville, TN 37920
- East Knox Elementary School: 9315 Rutledge Pike, Mascot, TN 37806
- Fulton High School: 2509 N. Broadway, Knoxville, TN 37917
- Gibbs High School: 7628 Tazewell Pike, Corryton, TN 37721
- Green Magnet Academy: 801 Lula Powell Dr., Knoxville, TN 37915
- Gresham Middle School: 500 Gresham Road, Knoxville, TN 37918
- Halls High School: 4321 E. Emory Road, Knoxville, TN 37938
- Inskip Elementary School: 4701 High School Road, Knoxville, TN 37912
- Karns Middle School: 2925 Gray Hendrix Road, Knoxville, TN 37931
- Lonsdale Elementary School: 1317 Louisiana Ave., Knoxville, TN 37921
- Maynard Elementary School: 737 College Street, Knoxville, TN 37921
- Northwest Middle School: 5301 Pleasant Ridge Road, Knoxville, TN 37912
- Pond Gap Elementary School: 4530 Papermill Dr., Knoxville, TN 37909
- Powell High School: 2136 W. Emory Road, Powell, TN 37849
- Sarah Moore Greene Academy: 3001 Brooks Ave., Knoxville, TN 37914
- South-Doyle Middle School: 3900 Decatur Road, Knoxville, TN 37920
- South-Doyle High School: 2020 Tipton Station Road, Knoxville, TN 37920
- West High School: 3300 Sutherland Ave., Knoxville, TN 37919
Food can be picked up Monday, Wednesday, and Friday between 10 am and noon. Meals will be provided for two days on both Monday and Wednesday and meals for one day will be provided on Friday. Your child must be with you when picking up the meals and they can be picked up at any of the schools. It does not matter where your child is enrolled.
KCS at Home
As Knox County Schools (KCS) are closed through the end of the school year, they have created an online resource for parents and students called KCS At Home. This resource has links to various classroom sites, YouTube videos featuring teachers from every grade level, and much more. The YouTube videos are also being aired on PBS and Comcast Channel 10.
The district announced at the beginning of the school closures in March that no new work or new lessons would be offered while schools are closed. All of the work is provided for parents and students at an optional level. Grades will not be impacted either negatively or positively. The reason the work is optional is due to not every student having access to the internet or other means to be educated remotely.
Fun from home
If you have access to the internet and want fun things for the kids and family, check out our list of educational resources in and around Knoxville and the rest of the country:
- Tennessee Aquarium Virtual Visits
- Virtual Tour – NASA
- National Museum of Natural History Tour
- The Met
- Google Arts and Culture
- TN History for Kids!
- Mabry-Hazen House
Resources for parents
Some other useful resources for parents include the following:
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Tennessee Valley
- Down Syndrome Awareness Group of East Tennessee
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of East Tennessee
- Helen Ross McNabb Center
- The YMCA of East Tennessee
- Volunteer Ministry Center
- Knox Area Rescue Ministries
During this time of crisis, parents may find themselves overwhelmed. If you have any questions about your custody arrangement or any other family law issues, please don’t hesitate to call the Knoxville attorneys at LaFevor & Slaughter today. Call our office at (865) 637-6258 or complete our contact form to schedule a consultation.