Trusted Tennessee Attorney Helps Clients Petitioning for K-1 Visas

Find out more about fiancé(e) visas from a Knoxville immigration lawyer

The K-1 visa, or fiancé(e) visa, allows U.S. citizens engaged to foreign nationals an opportunity to unite their family here in America. K visas can be complicated, however, and it is important that you seek the help and counsel of a skilled immigration attorney. At our firm in Knoxville, we help clients grow their families by offering sound, practical advice about their options. Attorney Patrick Slaughter always answers your questions clearly and honestly, and can assist you with the complex forms mandated by Immigration Services. Together, we can help you begin your new life with your partner here in Tennessee.

The steps of the K-1 visa petition

If your foreign national fiancé(e) already lives in the U.S., a K-1 visa is not necessary. However, if your partner lives in a different country, you must file a Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e). If your partner has children, their names must be listed on the I-129F form. You must also:

  • Be a U.S. citizen
  • Be married within 90 days of when your fiancé(e) comes to the U.S.
  • Have met in person at least once in the last two years, unless
    • This is a violation of cultural customs
    • This would result in extreme hardship for you

Once the marriage has taken place, your new wife or husband can apply for permanent residence. Our lawyers can help you though the change of status application. We can also help your fiancé(e) with the Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, if he or she wishes to get a job immediately upon entering the U.S., as well filing K-2 petitions for his or her children.

Help when you need it most

Petitioning for a K-1 visa is not necessarily difficult, but the rules which govern their acceptance are complex. We assist Tennessee clients whose I-129F forms have been denied by the Department of State (DOS). In these cases, the DOS will not reopen the petition, and a new petition may need to be filed.

Keep your wedding plans on track

We want you and your fiancé(e) to have a long and happy life together. Patrick and our team can help you through the process. To schedule a consultation at our Knoxville, Tennessee office, please call 865-637-6258 or fill out this contact form.