Trusted Tennessee Attorney for Help with Non-Immigrant Visas
Learn more about the different types of temporary visas you may need
America affords immigrants the opportunities to come for business or pleasure, and to stay for an extended amount of time. There are many types of temporary visas, however, and it may be difficult to choose the right one for your needs – or to understand all of the rules which govern them. Patrick Slaughter helps families in Tennessee and around the world who seek temporary visas here and abroad. Our skilled team can analyze your unique situation and help you make choices that are best for you.
Types of non-immigrant visas
The main difference between a non-immigrant visa and a permanent visa is that non-immigrant visas are temporary; you are allowed to work or visit America or another country for a set amount of time. A permanent visa, or green card, allows you to stay in America almost indefinitely.
Most visitors apply for:
- B1 visas. These are business travel visas, which allow you to meet with an estate agent or a client. They are not employment visas, so you cannot earn money on a B1 visa.
- B2 visas. B2 visas are tourism visas. If you wish to take a long vacation, or if you need a medical procedure not available in your native county, a B2 visa allows you to stay a bit longer.
- B1/B2 visas. Mixing business and pleasure? The B1/B2 visa option is available.
- H-1B visas. These are for people who work in specialty occupations. Models travel on H-1B visas, as do people who partner with the Department of Defense.
- H-3 visas. These are education visas, available to students and researchers who cannot obtain certain types of training in their native countries. An H-3 visa may also be used by people seeking additional practical education to work with children with disabilities.
Visas are incredibly complicated; there are different rules which govern each group, and not everyone is eligible. We help you determine which visa category is right for your needs. We help you with your application and your documentation, and can file an appeal if your visa application is denied.
Which temporary visa is right for your needs?
We want your trip to Tennessee, or anywhere in the world, to be as exciting as productive as possible. Choosing the right temporary visa for your needs is a crucial step in your planning. To schedule an appointment at our Knoxville office, please call 865.272.4454 or fill out this contact form.